Our Journey...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, August 1, 2012

London Olympics 2012

I have to tell you now that I'm absolutely enamored with the Olympics.  Summer... Winter... doesn't matter.  A tradition, that kind of came to life by accident, has become something I look forward to every 2 years.  It started with the Beijing games.  Getting ready to watch the opening ceremonies, my parents and I, were trying to decide what to have for dinner while we watched.  I said since it was in China, we should eat Chinese food.  Well, that tradition has continued.  For the Vancouver games.  I hunted high and low for recipes that were Canadian.  (That was a hard one) :P 

Well, this years games were a bit easier to get a menu worked out.  I always want to eat something that I think of when I think of the host country.  So... What to you think of when  you think of London England...?  Fish and Chips, of course!!   So, I had the main course worked out.  Now a drink, and dessert...  I'm a Harry Potter nerd so I found a recipe for Butter Beer.  (Made with Cream Soda, butter and rum extracts.)  Dessert was the hard one, so I went on a hunt for traditional British desserts.  I came across English Trifle.  Easy, and made with things I like!  Score! 

So, to recap.  Menu consisted of:

-Fish & Chips
-Butter Beer
-English Trifle

Lucky us, we timed everything just perfect that we were sitting down to eat right as the Opening Ceremonies started. 

We did learn some very important things while making our dinner:


1. Don't forget to dry the fish before throwing it into the oil. 
2. Don't let the oil get too hot.
3.  The topping that goes on the Butter Beer makes it foam up, so don't fill the cup too full.
4.  When making oven baked fries (Chips) if they are not browning, but are cooked through, throw them in a fry pan on medium high to crisp them up quick. 
5.  When making English Trifle.  It doesn't make good left overs.  The cake get soggy... FAST.  So, try to make just as much as you want to eat for your meal.  


I took pictures of our meal, as well as the little British "extras" I got to make it just a bit more special.

Just before the Opening Ceremonies started!

English Trifle 
(Minus the topping. coming in another photo)

Butter Beer

The Whole Shebang!

In this last photo, the little cup in the middle, by the salt, is Malt Vinegar.  I remember what I was told before I went to England in high school.  The Brits always eat Fish and Chips with Malt Vinegar and salt.  I had to make it authentic!  It's actually really good that way, so I was all for it.

Since this night, our TV hasn't moved off of NBC.  When I'm not working, I'm totally plastered to the games.

The next Olympics in 2014 are in Russia, and the next Summer Games are in Brazil.  I'm pretty excited about finding fun things to eat for those games too!

1 comment:

  1. Ah! I absolutely love it! Looks like the best party around for the opening ceremonies.

    ReplyDelete