Our Journey...

Daisypath Anniversary tickers

Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Book Review: Watership Down

As I explained in my last book review, this book has a back story too.  First off I have to say, that I have such a hard time finding new authors to like.  I honestly stumble upon most by freak encounters or doing some digging on movies and finding out that it was based off a book.  In this case, finding out about this author was even more strange than any before... 

My spring craft... with the Atlas the Hare.  I showed that picture to my sister Julie.  Later that same day her and I, my mom, and Shelby and Kassie, all went to Hobby Lobby. The last time they were here Julie wanted me to take Kassie there, but they are not open on Sundays.  This time though, they weren't leaving until Tuesday, so Monday was  our day to go.  When we got there, we walked down through the new section of Spring decor.  Where I happened to find Atlas.  I pointed him out to them.  Kassie whispered something to Julie that I didn't hear.  I didn't ask what she said, right away.  Later that day, Kassie had gone home and I asked Julie what she had said.  She told me that Kassie thought my rabbit looked like one from Watership Down.....  Watership What...?  I had no idea what it was.  Julie told me that, as a kid, Kassie would choose that movie to rent just about every time they went to the video store.  Come to find out later that it was not exactly a movie for young kids.  It was made in England and the rating was PG, but it should have been otherwise.   Anyway, I was curious about this mysterious movie.  It's not for kids but it's not horribly bad either.  The only reason it's not for kids is because there are fight scenes between rabbits and the animators didn't leave out the blood.   Then I found out it was based off a book.  So I searched for it.  Every site I went to, to see reviews about the book, gave it at least 4 out of 5 stars.  I have a thing for rabbits.... it's a new author... I pretty much new the story from the movie...  I felt it was a gamble I could make, and just buy the book.  I also bought another book from him called "The Plague Dogs"  (Book review later)  Now that the whole back story is out of the way, on to the review....

*******************************

This is a wonderful book!  I'll get the only downfall out of the way, which is more of just a bump in the road, not something horrible.  When the rabbit's speak to each other they have different words for things like a tractor, or anything else human that has a motor, for example.  They call it a Hrududu when talking to each other.  And a Fox is called a Homba.  There are a fair few words that are strange that you get the hang of as you read along.  The animal ones I had a hard time remembering, but luckily, the book comes with a "Lapine glossary"  in the back.  There names are different when the author tells the story than when the rabbits call each other by name.  This is actually a good thing because their name in the Lapine language is strange.  For example, there is a rabbit named Pipkin, that's his English name, but his Lapine name is, Hlao-roo.  Yeah, I would much rather read Pipkin for the majority of the book. 

Now the good stuff.  It's a great story of adventure.  A group of rabbit's, lead by Hazel and his oracle brother Fiver, leave their warren at the urging of Fiver who believes something horrible is going to happen.  The small group leaves including, Hazel, Fiver, Pipkin, Bigwig, Blackberry, Hawkbit and a few others.  They are all male rabbits.  On their journey to Watership Down they come across all sorts of pit falls and serious choices. The most serious challenge comes in the form of a dictator rabbit named General Woundwart.  He's a beast of a character!  Their struggle with him forces the whole group to choose between whats right and whats easy.  

The book also takes you into the world of rabbits and their fictional world, including their creation story and religion.  It really shapes everything they do.  The author also did a lot of background study on real rabbits and how they live.  That makes it that much better in my opinion.  You could probably read this book and find a warren of rabbits and totally understand why they do some of the things they do. (Not based off their religion)  

I think it's great that each rabbit has his own personality and thoughts.  They are all so different, which works to their advantage along the way.  I got so attached to all of them, that I still can't decide, for sure, who is my favorite.  I love stories about the good in people, or this case rabbits. I'm a huge cry baby these days.  Maybe it's because I do get attached to them that there was more than one time I cried in this book. 

This is an awesome book.  Moral integrity is a huge part of this book which makes it a happy read.  I went away feeling like there is still good in the world and people that can choose act like moral citizens.   The book is probably for ages 12 and older for vocabulary reasons as well as some battle scenes and there is brief discussion about mating.  Not actually talking "About the action of it"  but just that it's apart of there life and a bunch of male rabbits aren't going to succeed in starting a new warren if there aren't any females to procreate, that's all.

*******************************

Anyway, there's my review.  This book id more friendly to anyone reading my blog than the last book I reviewed.  It really is a great book  that everyone should read.  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment